- Pennsylvania Among 'Terrible 10' Most Regressive Tax States
- February 4 Non-Partisan Training: HOW TO RUN FOR ELECTION BOARD IN 2013: HOW TO RUN FOR COMMITTEEPERSON IN 2014
- Republican Governors Opt-In to Medicaid Expansion
- The Reports of Unions' Death Are Greatly Exaggerated
- Ask Allyson Schwartz to run for Governor
- Mind the gap: Opting Out of Medicaid Expansion Leaves Low-income Families Behind
- Jan. 14 Workshop:HOW TO RUN FOR ELECTION BOARD IN 2013; HOW TO RUN FOR COMMITTEEPERSON IN 2014
- Seth Williams on Guns, Jasmine Rivera on School Closures @PFC Meetup Wednesday
- PA Revenue Strong Midway Through Year; Tax Cut Could Have Big Impact
- What to Make of the Fiscal Cliff Deal?
Attention Stephanie Singer
One of the most exciting things that happened during yesterday's election was Stephanie Singer's victory for City Commissioner. And the defeat of Marge Tartaglione.
This seems like a good time to pull up this 2007 post I wrote about Marge and the changes that I think should be made at the City Commissioner's office. Maybe they will happen now.
Better voting systems and procedures can't undo apathy and cynicism about local politics, but they can help increase turnout by making it much easier to vote. And more radical interventions, like lobbying the state to allow early vote, vote by mail and same day registration, could really increase turnout in municipal elections (this at least been the experience in Oregon which votes entirely by mail).
And honestly, the election of local leaders should not be so closely tied up with the weather.