- Pennsylvania Among 'Terrible 10' Most Regressive Tax States
- February 4 Non-Partisan Training: HOW TO RUN FOR ELECTION BOARD IN 2013: HOW TO RUN FOR COMMITTEEPERSON IN 2014
- Republican Governors Opt-In to Medicaid Expansion
- The Reports of Unions' Death Are Greatly Exaggerated
- Ask Allyson Schwartz to run for Governor
- Mind the gap: Opting Out of Medicaid Expansion Leaves Low-income Families Behind
- Jan. 14 Workshop:HOW TO RUN FOR ELECTION BOARD IN 2013; HOW TO RUN FOR COMMITTEEPERSON IN 2014
- Seth Williams on Guns, Jasmine Rivera on School Closures @PFC Meetup Wednesday
- PA Revenue Strong Midway Through Year; Tax Cut Could Have Big Impact
- What to Make of the Fiscal Cliff Deal?
Black Caucus protests lack of action on guns
Yesterday, members of the Legislative Black Caucus walked off the Pa. House floor in protest of the lack of action on sensible gun control. Lawmakers, most of whom are from Philadelphia, staged the protest during a vote on the open records bill. The leadership of the House Democrats, which includes Dwight Evans, have met with the Black Caucus and say they are trying to address their concerns.
The focus on open records is mostly driven by the press and activists like Russ Diamond. I am sure that polls show a majority of people support the legislation, but it just is not the number one concern of most voters. The walkout is a dramatic reminder that there are vital issues not being addressed by the state legislature.
Open records is not the only piece of legislation that can be held up by the walkout. Democrats cannot pass their plans for alternative energy, property tax relief, or health care without the support of the legislators that walked off the floor. With the governor on their side, the legislators who walked off the floor could throw a major wrench in the system.
However, I will say that I am a little disappointed that other members of the Philadelphia delegation have not joined this protest. There is not a single part of the city that has not been touched by gun violence and every elected official needs to be part of the solution.