- Pennsylvania Among 'Terrible 10' Most Regressive Tax States
- February 4 Non-Partisan Training: HOW TO RUN FOR ELECTION BOARD IN 2013: HOW TO RUN FOR COMMITTEEPERSON IN 2014
- Republican Governors Opt-In to Medicaid Expansion
- The Reports of Unions' Death Are Greatly Exaggerated
- Ask Allyson Schwartz to run for Governor
- Mind the gap: Opting Out of Medicaid Expansion Leaves Low-income Families Behind
- Jan. 14 Workshop:HOW TO RUN FOR ELECTION BOARD IN 2013; HOW TO RUN FOR COMMITTEEPERSON IN 2014
- Seth Williams on Guns, Jasmine Rivera on School Closures @PFC Meetup Wednesday
- PA Revenue Strong Midway Through Year; Tax Cut Could Have Big Impact
- What to Make of the Fiscal Cliff Deal?
Jobs with Justice Event 03/01
For Immediate Release CONTACT:
Fabricio Rodriguez – Jobs With Justice (215) 732-8318
Caresh Walker, SoulPurl 77 - (484) 557-2391
Peter Javian, SoulPurl 77 - (267) 312-2431
SATURDAY March 1 - ACTIVATE! will premier a new series photographic works by well-known Philadelphia documentary photographer, Harvey Finkle. The show will display a series of photographs by Finkle of the work of Jobs with Justice over the last 4 years including their efforts to reform low-waged employers Wal-Mart and AlliedBarton. The art show and party to benefit local community group Jobs with Justice will be hosted by SoulPurl 77 at their studio ‘The Purl’ located on South 9th Street in the Italian Market.
Harvey Finkle is a documentary still photographer who has produced a substantial body of work concerned with social, political and cultural issues. His work has been extensively exhibited and published, including three books entitled, ‘Urban Nomads,’ ‘Still Home: Jews of South Philadelphia’ and ‘Reading.’
Jobs with Justice (JwJ) is a community group that fights for living wages, top-notch benefits, and respect on the job for people in our Philadelphia neighborhoods. In the past few years, JwJ has been on the front lines of efforts to reform corporations like Wal-Mart, Comcast and Verizon. This year alone, JwJ was able to help AlliedBarton security guards win nearly $2 million in new wages and benefits.
Soul Purl 77 Design operates from ‘The Purl’ which is an open-studio in South Philadelphia. Their line of Artificial Artifacts emphasize stained glass collage, vintage design elements, and nostalgic ephemera. SoulPurl 77 was founded in 2000 by Caresh Walker who was later joined by Peter Javian in 2003.
Want to learn more? Check out these links...
• Documentary about the JwJ POWR campaign
• 2006 Daily News Article about JwJ
• 2007 Daily News Article about JwJ
Can't come? BUMMER! But you can still help the cause....
Your generous donation will go directly to supporting the work and activities of Jobs with Justice, a 501c3 tax-exempt organization, and your donation is tax deductible to the full extent allowed by law. Your contribution is especially needed this time of year so please make whatever donation you can afford today!
To Donate: Mail your check made out to ‘Jobs with Justice’ to 1315 Spruce St. #331, Philadelphia, PA 19107. Or make a secure donation online at https://secure.ga3.org/08/PhillyDonate
ACTIVATE March 1
Art Opening and Party to Benefit Jobs with Justice, featuring the photography of Harvey Finkle
1138 South 9th Street
Philadelphia PA 19147