- Pennsylvania Among 'Terrible 10' Most Regressive Tax States
- February 4 Non-Partisan Training: HOW TO RUN FOR ELECTION BOARD IN 2013: HOW TO RUN FOR COMMITTEEPERSON IN 2014
- Republican Governors Opt-In to Medicaid Expansion
- The Reports of Unions' Death Are Greatly Exaggerated
- Ask Allyson Schwartz to run for Governor
- Mind the gap: Opting Out of Medicaid Expansion Leaves Low-income Families Behind
- Jan. 14 Workshop:HOW TO RUN FOR ELECTION BOARD IN 2013; HOW TO RUN FOR COMMITTEEPERSON IN 2014
- Seth Williams on Guns, Jasmine Rivera on School Closures @PFC Meetup Wednesday
- PA Revenue Strong Midway Through Year; Tax Cut Could Have Big Impact
- What to Make of the Fiscal Cliff Deal?
No big deal. Just the failure of our civil society.
What is wrong with this picture? Or more like, what is wrong with all of us?
The Inquirer reminded us today that Pennsylvania's population just keeps going up and up and up. And hey, we even get some kudos!
Taken as a whole, Pennsylvania's efforts at dealing with overcrowding are among the most resourceful of any state in the nation, said George Camp, a national prison expert.
"They have been very creative in anticipating the future needs to avoid a real crisis," said Camp, a principal at the Criminal Justice Institute, an independent consulting group. "Someone has been doing their homework."
Few other states are building prisons in such a down economy.
Egggg-cellent. Pa. officials are so forward thinking that they anticipated that as a state we would incarcerate more and more and more citizens. Suuuuuuper.
The article does note some small amount of forward thinking steps- effectively increasing the number of halfway houses. But, the deeper question is what is wrong with our criminal policies, and with our society as a whole, when we have numbers that staggering, with no end in sight.